Tuesday, March 3, 2009

OC Storm Water District Payment Statement

Monday afternoon, waiting in our mailbox was the statement/bill from the Oldham County Storm Water District in the amount of $41.16.

Amazing !

(See the last paragraphs for the kicker to all of this, and a suggestion!)

We're being billed for the "calculated average" of 6,000 square feet of impervious (hard) surface, and our property falls far short of that "average". Guess those that can afford to live on much larger lots (generating much more storm water runoff) get by cheaper than the rest of us. It seems to me that the PVA has the statistics to fairly accurately pinpoint each homeowner's lot size, and therefore Fiscal Court should have voted and mandated a better and more equitable system for the purpose of billing residential landowners. Remember, they bascially let the developers off the hook...

While I'm all for clean air, water and land and taking better care of Mother Earth in general, it would be a much easier pill to swallow if we had a Fiscal Court that had taken the time to devise a system that was truly fair to everyone. Our property taxes are calculated in such a way...why not this fee? In our home, we recycle as much as possible, and of course we have to take our recyled items elsewhere to properly dispose of them since we have no curb service here. That's a sore spot with me.

Furthermore, maybe if we had a Water and Sewer District that were better managed and with leaders that had the vision to handle this federal mandate, we wouldn't have had this forced upon us in the manner that has taken place. Fiscal Court has once again proven they can't properly handle the rapid growth of this county that they want, and remain fair to those who have called Oldham County home for many years.

This is still a rural county in many ways...yet we have traffic problems now, storm water runoff problems, roads that need repair, an industrial park that so far is pretty much a bust (and we, the taxpayers are funding it) and a Fiscal Court that simply seems not to care. Build it and they will come...at what expense?

Two final points on this statement/bill that we received yesterday...

1 - How fair is it to those on fixed incomes, the unemployed or those struggling in general financially to get a statement in early March that states this bill for $41.16 is due in full by March 29, 2009? Pay after the due date and pay a late fee of $4.11. This must be a drop in the bucket payment for every member of Fiscal Court, who no doubt carry a lack of sympathy for those suffering through hard times right now.

2 - Answer this Fiscal Court members...in these hard economic times, why in the world are we being asked to mail our payments to a processing center in Carol Stream, Illinois? The enclosed payment envelop is addressed to:

Oldham County Fiscal Court Payment Processing Center
P.O. Box 4506
Carol Stream, IL 60197-4506

Are we providing employment opportunities for our friends in another state? Why are the payments not being processed right here in Oldham County? Once again, it sounds like Fiscal Court is making "closed door" decisions and hoping that we won't question them.

Of course, in VERY small print on your statement, there is the option to pay the bill in person at the County Judge/Executive's office during normal business hours. Therefore, I suggest that as many people as possible make their payment in person at Mr. Murner's office. This affords you two opportunities...one, you can express your displeasure with all of this and how it was handled in person...secondly, maybe it will give Deputy County/Judge Executive Paula Gish something substantial to do...process your payments and thank you in person on behalf of the county and Fiscal Court. After all, in her welcome message on the official Oldham County government website http://www.oldhamcounty.net/ she states the following:
"Along with sharing the mission and goals established by Judge Murner, I am also the point of contact in county government responsible for coordinating county-wide initiatives among the various organizations and county agencies."
So, let's allow her to be that "point of contact"...and let her count your pennies!
Just a thought...

The Oldham Observer

7 comments:

  1. Don't use pennies. I think they can legitimately refuse to accept them as payment. I do believe nickles and dimes have to be accepted though. I'm not sure about this, so you should check. I plan to be there one afternoone with nicles and/or dimes in tow. Carol Stream, IL? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard on the fical court televison program that a processor in Illinois was used because none of the local banks that do that work wanted the job and that the Illinois firm was the least expensive. I think that is fine. The work should go anywhere in the US where the cost is the least. I am skeptical of this website. The heading says it is without a political agenda, but everything "observed" it laden with sophomoric criticism and either inaccurate information or goofy views. The remark about not hiring anyone from Oldham County is small-time thinking. Let's get the most qualified people we can afford working for Oldham County and not worry about what side of an arbitrary line they may live on. I believe the vast majority of Oldham County employees live in Oldham County. Are you willing to suggest that all school employees also be required to live in Oldham County? The board of education has about 1000 employees. I find it irretating when people from Jefferson County come out here and start shooting their mouths off. Go back to where you came from, we were fine before you got here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reply to the above comment is as follows:
    (I have broken up your comments so as to reply to it in sections.)

    Anonymous said...

    I heard on the fical court televison program that a processor in Illinois was used because none of the local banks that do that work wanted the job and that the Illinois firm was the least expensive. I think that is fine. The work should go anywhere in the US where the cost is the least.

    YOU ARE CORRECT in your assumption that the work went to the firm in Illinois because it was apparently the least expensive. I watched the Fiscal Court (3-3-09) proceedings too when this was explained. At a cost to us of about $1.40 per statement as opposed to the 30 cents I was quoted.

    I am skeptical of this website. The heading says it is without a political agenda, but everything "observed" it laden with sophomoric criticism and either inaccurate information or goofy views.

    YOU'RE SKEPTICAL OF this website huh? But you have visited and read and commented. The site meter is a wonderful tool showiing that the site visits and page views are growing. This site is without a specific political agenda. I back no specific office holder or future candidate at this time. I'm just another concerned resident (and taxpayer) voicing their opinion and asking for accountability from our elected officials. Nothing sophomoric here, except for some biting humor or sarcasm from time to time (much like what one can witness when watching the Fiscal Court sessions). I attempt to be very accurate in my postings and even waited to post about the Storm Water billing issue until I had spoken with someone at the number enclosed with the statement. Not my fault if I was given inaccurate information by a government employee. As for my goofy views...some may be goofy to you my friend, but not to others and maybe that is a reflection of our current county leadership.

    The remark about not hiring anyone from Oldham County is small-time thinking. Let's get the most qualified people we can afford working for Oldham County and not worry about what side of an arbitrary line they may live on. I believe the vast majority of Oldham County employees live in Oldham County.

    SMALL-TIME THINKING huh? How about in these hard economic times we make more of an effort to take care of our own...Oldham County residents and taxpayers? I simply believe that when it comes to government employees, preference should be given to Oldham County residents who have a vested interest in serving their neighbors...not someone crossing that arbitrary line you mention for the sake of a paycheck. Furthermore, I'm sure that there are lots of qualified residents here that could fill any government position.

    Are you willing to suggest that all school employees also be required to live in Oldham County? The board of education has about 1000 employees.

    NO, I AM not suggesting that this should apply to the employees of the Oldham County Public School system...only government employees.

    I find it irretating when people from Jefferson County come out here and start shooting their mouths off.

    WOULD YOU FEEL the same way if I had stated in my profile or introduction that I was a native of Oldham County? Oh, I guess not, since I admit I am a native of Jefferson County. You must think that no Oldham County native ever shoots their own mouth off? In addition, I have been here 14+ years, own property, pay taxes and support local businesses. Even the County Judge/Executive is not an Oldham County native...

    Go back to where you came from, we were fine before you got here.

    DON'T THINK SO buddy...Oldham County is my home now...and I've had family ties in this county for over 100 years. Remember this, Oldham County has in part become the progressive county it is because of people coming here to live and make it their home. What would your tax base be now if people like me had not chosed to call Oldham County home?

    It's still a free country my friend...live where you want, say what you want and believe in what you want.

    P.S. Spellcheck is a wonderful tool to use!

    The Oldham Observer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you may not have checked lately, but public school employees are government employees. paid with tax dollars and benefits supplied by the public, including a retirement check and health insurance from the State of Kentucky. They are also under the direct supervision of the Kentucky Dept of Education, state statutes and KERA.

    The logic of requiring 100-150 county employees to live in Oldham County while ignoring 1000 other people who work in the schools, EMS, Health Department, fire departmetns, the library, and perhaps some tax supported entities totally escapes me and smells like discrimination. What am I missing here?

    Yes, I think there are plenty of good people living in this county who could and are alread doing many of the local tax-supported jobs, but higher skilled positions or positions that require a specific degree may need to cast a wider net to get the best people available. I see no reason to be obligated to employ a less qualified person simply because he lives in this county.

    I feel sorry for the guy who was trying to earn a living by assisting who started you on this rant by saying he lived outside Oldham County. Your parochialism about him is misplaced. To quote you, "It's still a free country my friend....live where you want, say what you want and believe what you want".....and contradict yourself a lot.

    I am sure most of the people working in county government already live in Oldham County. But, there may be some people who live in Oldham County who work for government units elswhere, too. I guess you would force them to live where they work, as well. Where's the "live where you want" in that? We are all Americans. Stop trying to divide and pit some of us against others of us.

    I'm not sure what size the county government budget is, but I am sure the schools' budget is ten times bigger, perhaps more. Are you planning on going after waste and effecting "change" there, too, in our "progressive county"? You seem to be both condemning county government and praising what has attracted people, both at the same time. If things are so pathetic around here, why did you and others move out here?


    You state repeatedly that you are for bringing about change, but just exactly what are you talking about? You seem very non-specific to me.

    And, as for your last comment about using a spellchcker, was that for me or you? I know I miss a lot, and I assume you meant the comment for me, but I noticed that the last line in your last paragraph "What would your tax base be now if people like me had not CHOSED to call Oldham County home" ....could have used a little spellchecking.

    To answer your question, if the population had not increased we would not need the current tax base. The lion's share of my tax bill is for schools, not county government. Our school system was very good before the influx of new residents over the past 20 years. You and others who came out here to live in a peaceful environment and get their kids educated in a good school system have been welcome, but you and the others have caused the schools to keep raising my taxes to pay for thousands of children other than mine. I have paid without complaining much, but I still do not care for cheap shot fault finding when it comes to decent people like Duane Murner, who I have known for a long time and find to be a very good citizen. If you really want to improve the public discussion around here, I suggest you come out of hiding and offer yourself as a candidate for something - and then see how you like other people taking you apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't always agree with you, but I'm glad to see another blogger covering the topics of Oldham County.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Scott,
    Glad to have you on board as a reader and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with everything I write. This is just a blog stating my views on various topics and it is my feeling that the time has come for the Oldham County residents who feel "left out" or not part of the current "establishment" to band together to effect change in next year's elections. Or more simply put, it is time for the Republican stronghold on our county government to end. Parity is good for all. Happy reading and please feel free to comment anytime.

    The Oldham Observer

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, to think that Anonymous claims duane murner as his long time friend who does no wrong is a joke. while all your ideas so far mr. observer don't fall in line with mine, I appauld you for having the guts to take a stand and voice your concerns. you're not being petty, you're just telling it like you see it. government employees should live here and let the school board hire from where they find the best qualified teachers. and I don't recall reading that you said that a hiring rule of OC residents only should apply to the schools, just county government. so to Anonymous I say this, we're all entitled to our opinions just like you are. and what is scott davis gonna do with all that money he gets from us taxpayers thanks to your friend murner?

    ReplyDelete